Dawn ‘til Dusk Cricket Match – Welford Park v East Garston – 7th July 2015


The weather gods were not looking good on Monday night so the covers were put on the Welford Wicket. Sure enough as players started to arrive at 6.00 am, yes you did read that correctly, rain seemed to be in the air. The covers were removed for the scheduled 6:30 start but then quickly put back on as the rain fell. 24 people were feeling frustrated in the pavilion as other activities took place. The 9.00am Breakfast break was brought forward to 8.00 and then play did start at 8:30 with Welford Winning the toss and electing to bat – a split decision in the home dressing room as to whether this was a good idea.

Skipper Mark Jurgens quickly decided it was not a good choice as he returned to the pavilion having only faced 2 balls for a duck. Six overs into the innings things had got worse with the home side now 18-3. This brought Will & Ian Herrington together with the latter getting dropped on 0, which was to be significant. Will was give out LBW for 17 with the score on 44 which brought Mikey Carter to the crease. Along with Ian these two rebuilt the Welford innings matching each other score for score all be it Ian started 10 runs in front. At the drinks break the score had moved onto 141-3 with Ian having just reached his half century and Mikey 5 runs away from his first ever half century. The next 10 overs were painful additional cricket at East Garston kept everything tight with only 11 runs added. Mikey’s Granddad arrived at the ground which was the signal for Mikey to hit a glorious drive to reach his first half century. A few runs later the 138 run stand was broken as Mikey was caught behind off Galbraith, 182-5. This signified a Welford collapse as Andy Barr went next ball and then Ian Herrington for 99 with Welford eventually 224-11 all out, (it was a 12 a side game) with Matty Galbraith taking 5-35, and it was lunch time!

Garston made a great start with Chris Aubrey (48) and Michael Green (19) plundering runs all around the ground but an inspired bowling change was Nookie Yaqub gt both batsmen in the space of 4 balls – 72-2. The middle order fell quickly as Will Herrington took 2 wickets in 4 overs conceding no runs at all with Andy Brr chipping in with one as well, as Garston slipped to 98-5. Dan Hawkins however became the main stay of the Garston innings, top scoring with 70 ably supported by Russell Highnett (30) putting on 97 for the 6th wicket. At 207-8 it looked like Welford might have a small first innings lead by Matty Galbraith had other ideas scoring a quick fire 19 taking the visitors to a 4 run lead, however Garston were bowled out for 232 , a small lead of 8 runs into the second innings. Tea was then taken.

Under the rules of the match a sides top 5 scoring batsmen had to bat in reverse order at the end of the innings so Ian Herrington and Dan Hawkins would be their sides no12’s etc.

Welford were able to keep their same opening pair and again Jurgens was out to the second ball he face so not a very good day for the match organiser. Will Thornton, Manu Chadha and Adrian Bean all got going into double figures but there was a steady fall of wickets with only Nokhaz Yaqub playing attacking shots reaching 32 before being bowled by R Highnett. With Skelton Run out this brought in Will Herrington who hit a quick fire 55 off 28 balls and with last Man Ian Herrington (16) added 46 runs from 21           ball as Welford declared on 188-10 setting Garston a target of 181 from just over an hour and a half play which Welford said they would bowl around 30 overs to win so about 6 runs per over.

Blackmore and Burkitt and then Manoharan got the visitors off and running but lost their wickets so the score was 37-3 off 6 overs. Vince and Will Highnett put together a 38 run stand in the next 10 overs but Garston were slipping behind the rate. When Willoughby was 7th man out making the score 104-7 from 25 overs Garston’s chance seemed to have gone however Galbraith had other ideas smashing 21 off 10 balls. Garston however lost Green run out and then Galbraith brilliantly caught by Chadha making the score 133-9 from 28 overs. Welford had bowled their overs quicker than expected and there was still time for four more overs. The next two only went for 4 runs leaving Garston needing 42 from the last 2 overs. A fine attempt from Chris Aubrey saw him score 27 off 14 balls but Garston ended up on 167-9. Thus Welford were 2 wickets short of winning and Garston 14 runs.

So 175 overs had been bowled in the day, despite there being a 2 hour rain delay and 24 people left the ground very tired but hopefully satisfied having raised funds for the Thames Valley Air Ambulance.  You can still donate by going to https://www.justgiving.com/dawn-to-dusk-2015/   or by contacting Ian Herrington on 01488 648132.

Go to top